Becoming a Salsero

Learning to dance Salsa !

About me

I remember the first time I saw a salsa performance. The dance was mesmerizing and I decided that becoming a Salsero would be my new goal.

Just getting started took a lot longer than planned but I still haven't regretted a single moment of learning to dance salsa. Why don't you join me and become a salsero / salsera as well?.

About this site

This is where I share my experiences and thoughts on dancing salsa.

If you have any questions or remarks please leave a comment or send an email to becomingasalsero@gmail.com.

Additional ways to contact me can be found on my contact page.

Weeks fly by

It's been a couple of weeks again since I've last updated.
Unfortunately this also means I haven't gone dancing for a couple of weeks.

The last time was almost 3 weeks ago when Salsa Life introduced their new location (Variete at the Kornmarkt in Trier).
I had planned to be there at 18:00 but arrived later as I got stuck on work (around 18:30) as we were supposed to rehearse the choreography we learned a couple of weeks ago.
As I hadn't practiced it since that week I definitely needed that rehearsal.
Eventually I got it all down again but didn't feel to confident so I decided not to dance.
Or at least, that's what I decided until I realized that in that case there would only be one couple dancing.
So I bit the bullet and walked on to the floor and we danced.

As expected it didn't go great. We made some mistakes but overall were able to keep up pretty well.
The good thing was that as I was too focused on just going through the moves I forgot that there was an audience. I think that helped me a bit and it all turned out ok (some people even thought it looked great).

The one thing that this showed me is that , for me at least, it's easier to dance a show than to go social dancing. When doing a choreography you have something to fall back on. You know what's going to come next. Obviously that's not the same with social dancing where you have to make it up as you go.
That said, I did dance that night and I learned a lot. I found that when dancing with more experienced people I tend to freeze up and default to basics while I don't seem to have that same problem when dancing with beginners. Then I start feeling so comfortable that I have to hold myself back and not try everything I've learned and scare them away. I think I'm going to have to find some improvers to go social dancing with and everything will be ok :-)

Unfortunately I haven't gone dancing since.
Last night I wanted to go but I've just started working out again and muscle aches were killing me.
Walking was hard enough so instead of going dancing I took a hot bath and went to bed early.
Today I regret it a bit but unfortunately it's too late to change things now. Besides, I know that working out will pay off for dancing as well. It's just that the transition period is probably going to be a bit hard.
Ah well, there's always next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent