Becoming a Salsero

Learning to dance Salsa !

About me

I remember the first time I saw a salsa performance. The dance was mesmerizing and I decided that becoming a Salsero would be my new goal.

Just getting started took a lot longer than planned but I still haven't regretted a single moment of learning to dance salsa. Why don't you join me and become a salsero / salsera as well?.

About this site

This is where I share my experiences and thoughts on dancing salsa.

If you have any questions or remarks please leave a comment or send an email to becomingasalsero@gmail.com.

Additional ways to contact me can be found on my contact page.

learn to dance salsa - part 1

I just realized that I've been writing for about half a year now but that I have never said what I think is the best way to learn.

Over the past couple of months I've met a lot of people that learned to dance salsa in different ways. The people I've met can be put into a couple of groups:

  1. People that learn to dance salsa by taking lessons
  2. People that learn to dance salsa by going to clubs
  3. People that learn to dance salsa by watching videos
  4. People that learn to dance salsa by doing all of the above

That is a very basic breakdown and there are a lot of subcategories but let's keep it simple for now.

Over the next couple of posts I will look at the these different groups. Today I'll start out with group 1 and then I will work my way down the list. In the last post I'll also give you my point of view and let you know what I think is the best way to learn.

So let's have a closer look at the first group.

People that learn to dance salsa by taking lessons.

What are the advantages of taking lessons?
  • You learn to dance the basic steps and once you know those you will keep learning new moves and patterns.
  • Because of the way courses are set up you will be pushed to improve with every class.
  • You have an instructor who can correct you when you make mistakes.
  • You can ask questions when something is not clear.
  • You learn about frame, tension, timing, how moves are lead, etc.
  • Everybody in the class is at the same level as you are so there is no need to feel self conscious.
  • It's easy to meet new people. Everybody is there for the same reason as you are, to learn to dance salsa

Sounds great doesn't it?
Unfortunately there are also some disadvantages.

  • Classes are usually only once per week so progress can be slow.
  • You need to have some discipline and practice at home or you will probably forget what you have learned.
  • Practicing at home is hard if you don't have a partner so you may have to find one.
  • Taking lessons can be expensive.
  • Courses are often aimed at the 'average' student. If you're learn quicker than the average student you might get bored. If you learn a bit more slowly than the average student you may feel lost from time to time.
As you can see you will have to take some bad with the good.
Next time I will look at learning to dance salsa by going to clubs and see what the advantages and disadvantages are there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent