Becoming a Salsero

Learning to dance Salsa !

About me

I remember the first time I saw a salsa performance. The dance was mesmerizing and I decided that becoming a Salsero would be my new goal.

Just getting started took a lot longer than planned but I still haven't regretted a single moment of learning to dance salsa. Why don't you join me and become a salsero / salsera as well?.

About this site

This is where I share my experiences and thoughts on dancing salsa.

If you have any questions or remarks please leave a comment or send an email to becomingasalsero@gmail.com.

Additional ways to contact me can be found on my contact page.

Learn to dance salsa - part 2

This is the second article in a series of 4.

In Learn to dance salsa - part 1 I looked at learning salsa by taking lessons.

Today I will look at another way to learn salsa, namely by going to clubs.

So what are the advantages of going to clubs?

  • Usually clubs offer a free class before the party starts
  • There are a lot of great dancers in clubs and you can learn a lot just by watching and copying them
  • There will be a lot of different partners for you to dance with
  • You can dance as long as you want. Unlike in a organized course there is no time limit
Like with lessons the advantages sound pretty good.
Let's have a look at the disadvantages as well.
  • The free class is often at a low level. This is ok if you are just starting to learn dancing but you will quickly outgrow the class.
  • The dancers are at the club to have fun, not to teach you things. They most likely will not take the time to patiently talk you through each and every move
  • You won't have dance partners assigned to you like you would at a course
  • Most dancers will be at a much higher level than you are which can be very intimidating
  • The dance floor is often crowded which makes dancing harder, especially if you're still learning
As with learning to dance salsa by taking lessons, learning to dance salsa in a club is not an end all solution. There are both positive and negative points and you'll have to work out for yourself how important they are for you.

In Learn to dance salsa - part 3 I will look at the advantages and disadvantages of learning to dance salsa by watching videos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent